Have you even been in the situation where you had a dynamic IP address at your home or office and just needed to know what it was so you could connect? We'll we finally have a free tool for you!
If you work in IT, run a home media server or just want to RDP into your remote computer to grab some homework assignments then you need a dynamic DNS service. Back in the day these services were free and abundant - but not anymore. I recently had a need for such a service and couldn't find anything free so once again I broke out the trusty compiler and threw one together. (I also bought a few lame domains to support my shenanigans).
DNSLife is a simple windows service that runs on your windows computer (whether you are logged into it or not) and periodically updates the DNS record of a sub-domain of your choosing with your most current dynamic IP address.
Points of interest:
- DNSLife is 100% free. No ads, no cost - free.
- DNSLife requires the .NET Framework v4.5 which is included.
- Both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and up or Windows Server 2008 and up are supported.
- You can sign-up for an account using the application after you install it.
- Your one single account can be signed in on as many computers as you like and can all update different sub-domains.
- Let us know if you have any issues or suggestions via our contact page.
For a more in-depth review and video overview, check out DNSLife over at FindMySoft.com
Currently you can have your custom sub-domain on either DNSLife.net or Plug.Zone but if this catches on - I'll add more parent domains for you to choose from!
Main dialog of DNSLife
Edit Account Dialog
Edit / Choose a Sub-Domain
Advanced (Version 184.108.40.206 and above)
Is this code snippet, product or advice warrantied against ill-effect and/or technical malaise? No. No it's not! Not expressed - Not implied - not at all.